cromptons solicitors
  • Churchgate House

  • 30 Churchgate, Bolton BL1 1HL

  • 09:00 - 17:00

  • Monday to Friday

Housing Disrepair Claims

Housing Disrepair Claim

Housing disrepair claims can be brought by tenants and other individuals living at, or visiting the property and can include compensation for stress, inconvenience, damage to goods and furnishings and injury to health. 

If you are in social housing, your landlord has statutory obligations to keep the structure and exterior of your home in repair, together with all services for the supply of services such as gas, electricity and water.  In addition, they may also have undertaken additional duties in the wording of the tenancy agreement, for example, to maintain boundary walls and fences.  Other statutes confer liability on landlords to keep properties in good condition so that, for example, visitors and contractors are safe.

Put simply, your landlord must have had notice of the defects and have had a reasonable opportunity to carry out repairs, but either failed to do anything or failed to do a proper job.

Disrepair Issues Around The House

Examples of such cases include:

  • Defective windows and doors and double-glazed units
  • Holes in rooves, blocked drains and gutters
  • Damp and some forms of condensation
  • Cracked or blown plaster
  • Leaks from toilets, pipes and plumbing
  • Heating breakdowns
  • Defects in floors
  • Cavity wall issues

You may also be able to bring a claim for personal injury if your health or that of a family member has been adversely affected by poor living conditions.  We are specialists in this field and we will advise and assist you to recover the maximum compensation for every possible aspect of your claim.

Put simply if your home is in disrepair, you have reported it to your landlord and either they have failed to do anything or failed to do a proper job you can make a claim for housing disrepair.

If you instruct us, your claim will be funded by a Conditional Fee Agreement, also known more commonly as a No Win No Fee agreement, if you are a Council or Housing Association tenant.  This means we will only take payment once we are successful in getting you your compensation.  There is little or no financial risk to you if your claim is unsuccessful.

You can start a claim for housing disrepair online or by calling our dedicated team on 01204 589009.